- Published on Saturday, 15 October 2016 01:33
The 36th general congregation of the Society of Jesus has elected Fr. Arturo Sosa Abascal of the Venezuelan Province as Superior General. Born in 1948, Fr. Sosa has a licentiate in philosophy and a doctorate in political science. He was provincial superior in Venezuela between 1996 and 2004. In 2014 he was appointed the Delegate for Interprovincial Roman Houses of the Society of Jesus in Rome.
For more biographical information of Fr. Sosa please access this link.
- Published on Monday, 03 October 2016 02:06
Here are some recent announcements from the Jesuit Regional Office of Malaysia-Singapore:
1. Fr. Aloysius Mowe SJ will join the JRS International Office staff as the Director of Advocacy and Communications in May 2017. Aloysius has served as the Country Director for JRS Australia since 1st May 2011. His appointment was announced on the 27th September 2016 to the JRS international Office.
2. Fr Leslie Raj SJ. He has been appointed as the parish priest of St Ignatius Church as of the 1st October 2016 for a period of 6 years.
3. Regional Superior, Colin Tan SJ, has missioned Bernard Hyacinth Arputhasamy SJ to new work in the Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur. He will become the Director of the Archdiocesan Office for Human Development.
4. Fr James Tan SJ and Fr Chris Wee SJ have been called by Fr General to the Final Vows in the Society of Jesus on the 9th September 2016.
- Published on Wednesday, 28 September 2016 13:56
On the 27th September 2016, the Funeral Mass of Fr. Peter Kim SJ in the Church of St. Francis Xavier, Petaling Jaya, was presided by Regional Superior, Colin Tan SJ, and concelebrated by Archbishop Julian Leow, Archbishop Emeritus Soter Fernandez, Bishop Emeritus Paul Tan SJ, Local Superior, Norrris Seenivasan SJ, Parish Priest, Lawrence Andrew SJ, and fellow clerics.The family members of the late Fr. Peter Kim SJ were present. The church was packed.
Fr. Colin Tan SJ delivered the homily and Mr. Philip Kim, older brother of the late Fr. Peter Kim SJ, gave the eulogy. Mr. Philip Kim mentioned during the eulogy that when young Peter Kim first told his mother and sister that he wanted to be a priest in 1959 they did not give him their approval. Years later in the 1960's Peter again told his mother and sister that he wanted to be a priest and this time they gave him their approval. Mr. Philip Kim remembered how worried he was for Peter's inaugural homily for his Thanksgiving Mass shortly after his ordination. This was because he recalled how Peter had stammered and staggered at a public speaking when he was studying in Sabah College. The newly ordained Fr. Peter Kim delivered an excellent inaugural homily for his Thanksgiving Mass much to the surprise of his brother, Philip.
At the cemetery, Norris Seenivasan led the prayers for the burial. Archbishop Julian Leow, Fr. Colin Tan SJ, members of the Xavier Hall Jesuit Community, priests, family members of Peter Kim and parishioners were present at the cemetery.
More photographs of the funeral and burial are found here.
- Published on Saturday, 01 October 2016 14:40
Follow the proceedings of the Thirty-Sixth General Congregation of the Society of Jesus, as Jesuits from around the world gather to elect a new Superior General and to deliberate on important matters of the society. You may access information and news updates at the official GC36 website here.
Please pray for us!
- Published on Saturday, 24 September 2016 12:50